Wednesday, August 6, 2008

2 Pink Lines

Monday morning I woke up to pee really early and Richard goes "are you going to test?" So of course that's all it took for me to cave and I did test. I waited for the line(s) to appear and only one did. So I yelled from the bathroom to Richard, who was still in bed, "this is not good." I handed him the test and crawled back in bed. I tried not to get upset, telling myself it was still just too early. But Richard wouldn't take his eyes off that test and finally he said "Um, there's a faint 2nd line here, honey." I looked and just barely could see the outline or shadow of the faintest little whisper of a second line. Since I did not get a trigger shot of HCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) because I didn't need to ovulate because I didn't make the eggs, there's not really any way I could get a false positive. The test is specifically looking for HCG, so I could get a false negative but not a false positive...virtually impossible. So I went through the day happy but scared because I know what can happen, we've been here before. Tuesday morning that 2nd pink line was stronger. Today it was completely solid. I am very happy and very afraid. I will test every day until I have my first blood pregnancy test on Monday. Two days later I will go back to make sure those HCG numbers have doubled and 2 days after that the same. Last time my first blood pregnancy test was good but the next two were not. I am extremely grateful to have made it this far, now all I can do is hope and pray this continues.

After I tested this morning I tried to log on and of course the Internet was down...perfect! I went to lunch with my mom and we went to see The Dark Knight - Batman. It was really really good!

At lunch my mom told me a story about a friend of hers who has this puppy that her (the friend's) niece just dropped off at her house. Let's call my mom's friend that has the puppy "Mary." Mary told me last week that the puppy is pretty big and stays outside all day every day with her other dog who is a Shitzu. Mary also said that the puppy has an eye that is extremely infected and that when her niece got the puppy the people told her the puppy was blind out of that eye and that the eye needed to be removed. So Mary tells me all this last week and as a side note mentions that she is considering letting her brother either take the puppy and drop it off in the middle of nowhere (with one good eye in the 100 degree heat) or letting him shoot her. She went on to say that she doesn't have time for her dog much less the puppy and feels really bad that the puppy practically mauls her every time she brings her food because she's so starved for attention. She finished by saying it was likely that the eye would just "pop out on it's own and heal up." I kindly removed myself from the conversation after begging and pleading with her not to resort to either abandoning or shooting the puppy, but I had to keep my head because we have 4 rescued cats (one just died, we had 5). And we have 5 dogs. Only 2 of those dogs are rescues I am almost embarrassed to say. Today though my mother tells me that Mary and Mary's brother both mentioned abandoning or shooting the dog to her, too.

Yesterday I went to my little pottery shop with mom to paint and we met a woman there who was painting bowls for her dogs. She told us that she has rescued 6 dogs that live with her on her 1.5 acres of land and has fostered many many more. She is a survivalist trainer for the Army...how awesome is that? Anyway we talked and she was just a great person I could tell. So today when my mom mentioned that Mary must really be contemplating abandoning or shooting her neglected puppy I really freaked out. I went to the pottery shop and got the Army lady's number and called her. I asked only that she help me find a home for this puppy. I offered to go get the pup this weekend with Richard's help and even pay to have the eye fixed if I couldn't get Mary or Mary's niece to do the right thing. Army lady sprung into action and was at Mary's door to retrieve the puppy within 10 minutes of our conversation. She even has a friend who works with rescues and will do the surgery for a fraction of the regular cost. I just spoke to her a little while ago and Daisy was sitting on the couch with her watching the other dogs. She had cleaned all the puss out of her infected, rotting, painful eye and given her a bath. She'd finally had to drag her off the air conditioning vent for fear that she may freeze herself to death.

So there we are. All is well today. The puppy is now clean, hydrated, safe and being loved. I am currently pregnant, I almost can't believe that one, and I pray that doesn't change.

8 comments:

Sasha & Mark said...

Oh WOW!!! Congratulations!!! I am soooo excited for you. I understand being nervous, but this is it-- YOU"RE PREGNANT! I am in tears happy for you! WOOO HOOOO!!! You did it!

Did you call the clinic?? They will let you come in 2 days earlier for betas (at least they did for me).

I know you don't feel out of the woods yet, but this is a HUGE step. BIG HUGS!!! (can you tell I'm excited-- I AM!!!!)

Sasha & Mark said...

BTW-- I kept checking your blog at work this a.m. and I was like-- WHERE is the update???? I was so hoping it was because you were out celebrating. YAY YAY YAY!!!

ggop said...

OMG C,
I have been reloading your page a gazillion times at work. Bloglines is also down, its a miracle I got to read this post now just from memorizing your url.

YAY!! I'm so happy - even though I know you are in a daze right now and waiting for all this to sink in.

I could not read this post beyond the statement where you said you didn't receive a trigger shot and so there can't be any hcG due to the shot!

I'm silently rejoicing here and hoping your beta rises fine.

Eagerly awaiting your update. Take a moment to enjoy this feeling.

Ariella said...

Congrats! I am so happy for you. Sasha paged me and told me to check your blog. I nearly screamed when I saw the title. I made my hubby turn off the sound of the TV so I could read all of it. I am over the moon thrilled for you. I know you have had a + pg test before and it didn't end well so I am sending you LOTS of sticky baby dust!

As for the puppy I am glad you found it a new home. It breaks my heart that people treat thier pets like that. This just proves what a good person you are, animal lovers are all good in my book.

shiner said...

I love y'all! All of you! Thanks for your well wishes, it really means so much to me. I

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I am thrilled for you. Take care.

ggop said...

Shiner,
This may be junk medically, but does your RE prescribe progesterone suppositories for the first trimester?

My friends with a history of loss had to take that, so wondered if this was prescribed by many REs.
You don't have to respond since it may be TMI for your readers :-)

shiner said...

No problem! I am taking progesterone shots every night (2ccs). It's called progesterone in oil and it hurts really bad. I am told I will have to take it for the first 12 weeks of gestation.