Wednesday, March 4, 2009

My Second Baby Shower


My mom and sister threw me another baby shower this weekend. It was really classy and beautiful. My sister brought her baby boy Liam (see pic with my hubby...so cute.) Everyone was very generous and again I almost felt bad because they did so much. Last year there was a baby shower for someone who was due a week or two apart from when I would have been due, but I miscarried. That was my last shot at IVF with my own eggs. I could not make myself go no matter what - I just woke up crying that morning (See Post from Saturday, July 12th titled "This Post is All Over the Place http://art4mybaby.blogspot.com/2008/07/this-post-is-all-over-place.html). The past two Saturdays have been like fairytales for me. I got to do all of the things I've been dreaming about at baby showers for the past 6 years. My family and friends were amazing.
I am now 34 weeks - yes I know my ticker says I am 35, that's because I am delivering a little early with a cesarean section. I have pretty much enjoyed my pregnancy until the last trimester. I really shouldn't complain at all though. What happens is that you get in a situation and start to feel normal and then take things for granted. Someone told me once that there are no "shoulds" in life. If so, who determines the "should"? But wow, when I feel like complaining I feel like I "should" not be because of all that I have been through. I have only 33 days left, I am going to try really hard not to complain at all about some of the really scary things that are happening to my body and remind myself of how blessed I am to finally be here.

10 comments:

Wannababy said...

Nice. I'm so happy for you. Enjoy the rest of the pregnancy!

Riley said...

Wow - only 33 days left - that's crazy! I'm sure they will fly by and Claire will be here before you know it. Your shower looked beautiful - mom and sis did a great job. And I think you still have every right to complain - just because you went through so much to get to this point and you feel so blessed doesn't mean you don't have the right to complain as much as every other pregnant woman does.

Sasha & Mark said...

Your shower looks so fun! I love your cakes!! :) Congratulations- I'm so happy it is all finally for YOU!

33 days?! I can't believe it will be here so soon!! You can complain if you want, it doesn't take away from feeling so blessed to finally be here.

Sandra said...

I guess your miscarriage makes this pregnancy so much more rich and miraculous. I'm glad you are seeing the big picture/having persepctive but there's also nothing wrong with feeling the struggles of what you are experiencing now. I really identify with all your different feelings and feel like in some ways I am living vicariously through you, finally reaching your dream. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

What beautiful showers, both of them with so many people excited for you and Claire. So close to the big change, I remember being pretty terrified/thrilled! And I had forgotten the whole numb hands thing, but it did go away after the birth. You will be great, probably many of the plans you make now will be revised but that's ok - it is great to have a plan. Good luck with the last month, and try to do something nice every day for your baby's mama!

Julia said...

Both showers sounded wonderful.

Here's to the last few weeks!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for your comments on my blog - all these drugs in my system really are making me crazy! But reading a blog like yours where you are finally getting all the good stuff after all the pain and trials of IF is so inspiring.

I am really blessed that I have this home renovation to do right now - we started the day of our last failed cycle! I just needed something then, and we had been talking about it for years anyway. Thanks for the advice to keep it neutral - who knows what insane color combinations one could pick in a Lupron-haze?!

Jill said...

Candy - you look so good! I can't believe Claire will be here so soon, time has really flown. I'm glad you had a wonderful time at your showers, it is your turn to enjoy this. Complaints are every woman's right! :)

shiner said...

Y'all are awesome and I am blessed to have you! Thanks for your support!

ggop said...

Yay! last month..
Enjoy the attention and pampering. After the birth it will be all about the baby for the first few weeks.
Go for facials, massages, pedicures now.