Monday, March 23, 2009

Seeing Doc Twice a Week Now

Went back today for NST (non stress test) so that they could measure fetal movement and contractions. I am still having contractions but had fewer today (in the 15 or so minutes they monitored me) than I did on Thursday. I have most of them in the morning and at night. After the NST the midwife decided to do a pelvic exam. My doctor was not there. So the midwife did the exam and told me first that my cervix has softened, probably as a result of the contractions. Also she measured me and I am only measuring 33 - 34 weeks even though I am now 37 weeks. Come to find out I started going backwards a few visits ago. No big deal, that could be a lot of things: stomach muscles making it so that she is held in tighter than some babies, the baby being in a tight little ball herself instead of spread out, less amniotic fluid at this point, and every woman carries differently. Also, she gave me the example that she delivered a 36 week old baby over the weekend that was only 6 pounds but the mother's tummy was measuring 39 - 40. So, net net we scheduled an AFI (Amniotic Fluid Index) for this Thursday along with more NST to monitor the fetal movement and uterine contractions. What does all this mean? Who the f*ck knows...I don't get it. We had a growth scan at 32 weeks (February 17) and she was in the 55th percentile. At that point she weighed an estimated 4.2 pounds. It's been 5 weeks since then. At half a pound a week she should be like 6.7 pounds by now...WTF? Why am I not measuring to show that she is getting bigger? I am concerned. I know all of this is not an exact science and every woman carries differently and tummy measurement is extremely subjective but I haven't gained any weight in like a month (not that I want to but I do want her to grow properly). I am not sure what is normal and what isn't or if there is even a scale for normal since this is all so very subjective. I guess we'll know more on Thursday...trying to be positive but a little freaked out until I understand more.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry for this scare, but I'm betting it is just the difference between the midwife's measuring and the doctor's. I know you will worry no matter what - but I bet you will have more answers after Thursday. Is your DH home yet? Thinking of you-

Sandra said...

Holy cow that's a lot of stuff going on. I have no clue what to tell you on the pregnancy front - but I do know that you are having a baby soon and the day you've dreamed about will be here soon, wooo hooo!!!! So, think happy thoughts and try to hang in there! I'm rooting for you!

Sasha & Mark said...

I think everything you wrote is totally normal. The lower measurements could be because she has dropped (as you thought). When she slips farther down in your pelvis, you don't show in your belly as much. I think I was measuring ~37" when I delivered and she was just fine and certainly not underweight!

Also, I hardly gained anything in the third tri. Your stomach is smaller because of the baby pushing on it and you just can't eat as much. Your baby is still gaining, just using some of those stores from earlier in your pregnancy!

My NST's were all over the place. At 38w, they were exactly 6 min apart, which is why they thought I'd go into labor soon. But the next time there really wasn't much of a pattern or strength to them. Labor is a process, not a day, so it is just your body getting ready, and then resting.

You're doing great! And you made it past the weekend! Not much longer and you will be meeting little Claire!!

Riley said...

I'm so glad others on here know more about this than I do and are able to reassure you that everything is ok. Just wanted to say that I'm thinking of you and anxiously awaiting all your updates even though I'm pretty useless when it comes to advice at this point!

Sasha & Mark said...

one other thing-- are you dilated? I think I'd be more concerned about that than the other stuff. Dilation means labor could start soon, though some people go around at 3 cm for weeks! Usually contractions soften/efface the cervix first and then start dilating.

Anyway, every pregnancy/woman is different, but it is good you are going in more often so they can keep an eye on you. You don't want any surprises before April 6!

Peeveme said...

I know it;s can be so scary. I trust that if they were really worried they would not have let you leave and would have done way more tests. Thinking of you and looking for your update.

Unknown said...

I know you're freaking out, but I think at the point you're at, babies drop and you begin to measure differently than you did before baby dropped. I'm glad they're monitoring you closely though. I think you're safe now and I'm sure she's doing wonderfully in your belly! You're going to LOVE being a mom! It's the most amazing thing in the world! Don't worry about the c-sec either, it's not too bad, just stay on top of your pain meds. I think I'm in so much baby bliss that the pain is worth it and not too bad!
Hang in there, you're almost done! :)

ggop said...

Eagerly waiting for the results of your appointment..hang in there. Glad you are on top of this and being monitored so closely.

Julia said...

I'm in the boat with you. Not sure where their going with all that. The good thing they do this all the time and know what their doing.

Hope you have a better understandig after the appt.

Riley said...

I guess everything worked out ok - I heard that Claire arrived - congratulations!!! I can't wait to hear details! I'm so very happy for you. Big hugs to you and Claire!

Anonymous said...

So I'm guessing you met Claire sometime in that last week - hope all is well and can't wait for an update (but you wait until you have a free moment - we can be patient!) Congratulations!

Jen said...

It's me your stalker from brokeandparenting.blogspot.com. I just came to check on you! Iwas left alone in Georgia while my husband was in NC and I was on medicine to stop my contractions. I was also only 32 weeks, he came home in time for the csection. I survived with a two year and two cats! You can do it! It is rough though, and I definitely sympathize. I'm glad you are hanging in there! I can't wait to see baby pictures!

Jen said...

Oh, yeah forgot to say, once the baby drops, the measurement is off. It depends how far engaged the babies head is, more engaged, the less you measure and so on. Don't worry! They are monitoring you closely!