Thursday, October 2, 2008

First OB Appointment -- 12 Weeks

I finally got to see the regular OB today, except the doctor was not available. So I saw a nurse and a midwife...they were both great but I wish I could have actually seen the doc. I explained all my fears about going into labor 40 minutes from the hospital where my doctors deliver. We also discussed the Lovenox issue (blood thinner injectable I take in my stomach every day for anti thrombin antigen) and my fear of bleeding to death if I don't have a scheduled C-section. I got no definite answers. The ultra sound machine was ridiculously inferior to the ones at my IF clinic. I could barely make out the parts on my baby and we certainly could see no sex organs. The midwife said it was because the little one and sac were in the way...um, I don't think so. That was never a problem for Dr. T. Maybe I am just resistant to change. All in all it went well. The baby is doing great, heart rate is good, size is on target and he was moving around a lot. I also saw the little one...she's still there and about the same size, umbilical cord intact and all. The midwife said it is likely they will have to deliver her when my son is born. Honestly, that makes me sad. Still, I am so blessed to be where I am. I go back next week for the NT scan.

6 comments:

Jill said...

Wow, time is flying along isn't it? Your almost to the second trimester! I agree it is a little sad to know the little one is just hanging out in there, maybe she's there to cheer on her brother? That's a good way to think of it!

Sasha & Mark said...

So great seeing you Thursday! We have to get together soon! The NT scan has a much better machine, so you'll probably get a better picture there. Anyway, glad things are going well with your pregnancy. I hope they can give you some answers about the C-section-- sounds like you have a good case. Is Dr. T on board with that too? He might help convince, if you need a second opinion.

shiner said...

Thanks choice2make, that is a good way to think of it.

Sasha, it was great seeing you, too. I am actually looking forward to the NT scan since it is much clearer. I'd really like to hear my baby's heart beat too. I still haven't. Any idea how long it takes to get the results from the scan? Also, they were going to check me early for gestational diabetes since I was on Glucophage for so long for PCOS. I guess if they'd have found my blood sugar high they would have let me know. What is your work schedule like?

Unknown said...

I'm SO glad you're doing good and the baby's good too! Don't worry, we didn't see the heartbeats until my 12 weeks u/s, hopefully soon! I'm sure you will very soon! Glad you got cleared to walk! It's too hot here to do that, I just over heat, so I go swimming instead. I was just kicking around in the pool and doing leg exercises, but yesterday I started swimming laps and it felt oh so good! I'm going to try to increase everytime I swim! Plus with swimming, I still get to keep a great tan! :) Hehehe.

Sasha & Mark said...

It was a different office, but they told me that day that everything on the u/s looked great, but they also did a blood test which they sent away. I found out my official odds for downs and trisomy about a week after. Work is really open for me right now-- Mondays are the only day that is bad.

ggop said...

Hurray!
Sounds like the first trimester is coming to an end. Good luck with all the tests.
Shiner - with your medical history they better listen to all your concerns. My experience with RE vs ob/gyn is similar to yours. The RE was very kind. My ob/gyn is very cordial and polite. But there is a slight difference.