After much debate I decided to sit down with my RE to discuss my unresolved issues. Thank you Sasha for helping me determine that it was worth it to schedule the appointment with him even though he is no longer my doctor.
First we discussed the Lovonox situation. He assured me that it is okay to stop the Lovonox injections after 16 - 20 weeks. The problem with anti thrombin antigen, the blood clotting disorder I have, is that it can cut off blood supply to the embryo during implantation. Now that the fetus is so well attached and has much larger blood vessels there is no danger in stopping the Lovonox shots. THANK GOD! Also he said that most of the time second trimester miscarriages happen before 16 weeks.
The second thing we discussed was the C-section thing. I told him that 2 other doctors, both of which operated on my ovaries, said I would need a C-section if my baby was over 6 pounds. I also told him about my sister's 2 C-sections and how our family is built. Further, I explained that the 2 midwives I have seen so far were totally against me having a C-section without at least trying natural labor. Keep in mind they were the same midwives who could not explain anti thrombin antigen to me and who were clueless about the Lovonox and when to quit taking it. Also, one of them insisted that the reason I had so many miscarriages was because of the anti thrombin antigen, obviously she failed to read my chart which clearly states that my miscarriages are mainly due to the fact that my egg quality SUCKS. Even with Lovonox my crusty old eggs did not cut it. So, Dr. T said given all I have been through he thinks C-section is the way to go. All I have to do is call and he said "I will give you a c-section because I totally believe in them." I could have kissed him...finally someone who understands and doesn't tell me to "just relax you're through your first trimester." Bottom line, if he says I should have a C-section, and he did, I believe him. Everything he's ever said has been correct so far!
I asked if I went into labor before the scheduled C-section would a midwife deliver my baby. He said no they would have instructions to call him and he would do a C-section he lives 2 minutes from the hospital and so do the other 3 doctors in the practice.
I asked if it is okay to walk and he was very cautious with his response. Keep in mind just a week ago the midwife told me I could work out all I want just no contact sports like kick boxing. Dr. T said I should be very very careful about exercise. He only recommended walking and swimming and said that my heart rate should not get up too high as that would have a direct impact on the baby. Since I have been sitting around on my ass for the past four months I am not where I used to be cardiovascularly. Further, he told me to pull up on line where my heart rate should be for my age and pregnant and not to go above it under any circumstances.
I asked if I could lift over 5 pounds and he said I could but not to go over 10 - 15. I can also use my 5 pound dumb bells to build up my arms so I'll be able to hold the baby for long periods of time without getting tired.
I love that man, he's awesome! I am so relieved now. Next appointment is November 4th with the certified OBGYN, not a midwife. Also I should have a level 2 ultrasound between weeks 16 and 18 so probably the same week I am there for my regular appointment.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Glad to hear your appt. went well and you received the confirmation of what you knew in your heart was the best way to proceed in your situation.
What a wonderful dr! I'm so glad that you got the answers you needed! No more of the midwife crap... Sorry about that comment, I have nothing against them, it's just that I trust a dr so much more!
As far as exercise, I've been swimming and I started to go to the gym and do the stationary bike and I make sure to keep my heart rate below 130 (usually it's around 118-122). If you have access to one, you should definitely try the bike!
Yay Candace! That is so awesome! I am so glad he was able to give you some good answers-- I miss him too! And wow- what service?! He's going to come in and do your C??!! :)
I'm really happy for you. He is definitely one of the doctors I really trust and consider to be an "expert" I know he would not tell you wrong.
And now if it comes up again, you can just tell the Midwife that Dr. T recommended a C section-- end of story!
I'm glad. You were right to trust your instincts. Candace, what a great tip to do free weights for building upper body strength!
I was wondering about it but so many people cautioned against weights I wasn't sure.
Now I wonder if you are onto something. It makes sense to prepare hauling a 6-8 lb baby in first few weeks.
Post a Comment