Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Graduated to Regular OBGYN

Yesterday I had a scheduled ultrasound with Dr. T. I asked when I could stop taking the estrogen and progesterone shots, do I go through week 11 and stop at 12 or go through week 12 and stop at 13? He said I finish after week 11 right at 12 weeks...WHOOHOO! That was definitely the response I was looking for. He started the ultrasound and my baby was absolutely all over the place turning front to back and jumping, literally jumping up and down. I said "I don't know why but I feel like this baby is a boy." Dr. T goes "Looks like a boy to me and shows me the extra material between his legs! It was amazing! So I said "Well I shouldn't buy anything blue yet but you're pretty sure, right?" Dr. T said "Looks like a boy to me...this is the chord and this is not." Richard was not with me so doc gave me like 10 pictures. You can see it in 3 of them, one really well. His heartbeat looked "strong and healthy" and Dr. T said I could go upstairs to the regular OB because "You're out of the woods now." I am so excited! I can't believe we are having a boy, that makes me so happy. Of course it would be great either way but the fact that we're going to have a tiny little version of Richard sends me over the moon! He hates that he missed it and looked at the pictures a million times last night. Our little boy is now 37.2 mm long and he was 32.7 just last Thursday. So he's growing like a weed. I feel like I am in a fairy tale. Richard and I keep repeating "we're having a boy" to each other and we can't stop smiling but we feel like crying all the time we are so happy.
My next appointment is October 2nd. That's only just over a week from now, I can do that. We haven't touched the Doppler since the doctor told us to put it away until after 12 weeks...that's only a week away!
The little one was still there but is beginning to shrink some. So, one is viable but I am still carrying two. I wish we could have saved her.

7 comments:

Wannababy said...

Woohoo! That's really good to hear. Congrats on a boy. I was going to ask if you did PGD since you were referring 'HIM' as him.

Unknown said...

Oh! How exciting! YAY! That's wonderful a little baby boy! OMG! I'm glad you're doing so great! :) What a blessing! I have my next u/s on Friday so I'm hoping we'll see something too! Then we have an appt. on the same day again, Oct. 2! Wahoo! Can't wait for both of us! Congrats again!

Sasha & Mark said...

Congratulations on your little boy! Wow-- that's awesome you got to find out so early!! Our early guess turned out to be right too! Anyway, sounds like you are really out of the woods! Congratulations Mommy-to-be!!

Best of luck! Are you going to the OB upstairs too??! Maybe I will see you sometime?

BTW-- if you want a fist-tri genetic screening ultrasound (NT scan), make sure you set it up before 13w5d. They only do them on Tuesdays and Thursdays at that office.

shiner said...

Thanks girls!
wannababy - no pgd just always thought the big one was a boy and the little one was a girl.

jojobee - can't wait to hear what yours show. We are on just about the same schedule all the way around, hugh?

sasha - I am going up stairs now. Dr. G. She is really nice, I went to her before. I'll be 13 weeks on the 8th so when I am there on the 2nd I'll ask about that scan. What all does the NT scan show besides possibility of downs?

Jill said...

Congratulations on your graduation and the news of it being a boy! I bet it was fun to see him jumping and squirming all over the place!

ggop said...

Congratulations! Isn't technology amazing?! People get news of the sex in their 20 week scan and you know well in advance.

Richard must be thrilled to have a mini-me version of him around in the future. :-)

I think in addition to downs they can detect trisomy 13/21.

Sasha & Mark said...

Yes, NT is mostly just to get the risk for Downs and Trisomy-18. So definitely not required.